(a) A notary public shall maintain a journal in which the notary public records all notarial acts that the notary public or electronic notary performs. The notary public shall retain the journal until required to transmit the journal to the Mayor under subsections (e) and (f) of this section.
(b)(1) A journal may be created on a tangible medium or in an electronic format.
(2) A notary public may maintain a separate journal for tangible records and for electronic records. If the journal is maintained on a tangible medium, it shall be a permanent bound register with numbered pages. If the journal is maintained in an electronic format, it shall be in a tamper-evident electronic format complying with the rules issued by the Mayor.
(c) An entry in a journal shall be made contemporaneously with performance of the notarial act and contain the following information:
(1) The date and time of the notarial act;
(2) A description of the record, if any, and type of notarial act;
(3) The full name and address of each individual for whom the notarial act is performed;
(4) If the identity of the individual is based on personal knowledge, a statement to that effect;
(5) If the identity of the individual is based on satisfactory evidence, a brief description of the method of identification and the identification credential presented, if any, including the date of issuance and expiration of an identification credential when such a credential is used;
(6) The fee, if any, charged by the notary public; and
(7) The signature of each individual for whom the notarial act is performed.
(d) If a notary public's journal is lost or stolen, the notary promptly shall notify the Mayor upon discovering that the journal is lost or stolen.
(e) On resignation from, or the revocation or suspension of, a notary public's commission, the notary shall transmit the journal to the Mayor.
(f) On the death or adjudication of incompetency of a current or former notary public, the notary's personal representative or guardian or any other person knowingly in possession of the journal shall transmit it to the Mayor.