(Leg. Assem., Aug. 23, 1871, ch. 108, § 18; June 20, 1874, 18 Stat. 116, ch. 337, § 2; Mar. 3, 1901, 31 Stat. 1340, ch. 854, § 932; June 30, 1902, 32 Stat. 537, ch. 1329; Mar. 4, 1923, 42 Stat. 1488, ch. 265; 1967 Reorg. Plan No. 3, § 401, 81 Stat. 951; May 27, 2010, D.C. Law 18-160, § 141(a), 57 DCR 3012.)
1981 Ed., § 1-361.
1973 Ed., § 1-301.
Office of Corporation Counsel abolished: The Office of the Corporation Counsel was abolished and the functions thereof transferred to the Board of Commissioners of the District of Columbia by Reorganization Plan No. 5 of 1952. Reorganization Order No. 50 of the Board of Commissioners, dated June 26, 1953, as amended, provided that the Office of the Corporation Counsel would be organized as previously constituted. The previously existing Office of the Corporation Counsel was abolished, and all functions and positions including the duties, powers, and authorities of all officers and employees of the former office were transferred to the new office. Authority to settle claims and suits against the District up to and including $5,000 (or $10,000 if approved by the Assistant Commissioner) was delegated to the Corporation Counsel by the Order. This Order was issued pursuant to Reorganization Plan No. 5 of 1952. The functions of the Employees Compensation Sub-Section, Investigation Section, Office of the Corporation Counsel, were transferred to the Personnel Office, Department of General Administration by Reorganization Order No. 21 of the Board of Commissioners, dated November 20, 1952. This Order was issued pursuant to Reorganization Plan No. 5 of 1952. The executive functions of the Board of Commissioners were transferred to the Commissioner of the District of Columbia by § 401 of Reorganization Plan No. 3 of 1967.
Office of Secretary to Board of Commissioners abolished: See Historical and Statutory Notes following § 1-301.23.
Re-Designation of the Office of the Corporation Counsel as the Office of the Attorney General, see Mayor’s Order 2004-92, May 26,
Change in Government
This section originated at a time when local government powers were delegated to a Board of Commissioners of the District of Columbia (see Acts Relating to the Establishment of the District of Columbia and its Various Forms of Governmental Organization in Volume 1). Section 401 of Reorganization Plan No. 3 of 1967 (see Reorganization Plans in Volume 1) transferred all of the functions of the Board of Commissioners under this section to a single Commissioner. The District of Columbia Self-Government and Governmental Reorganization Act, 87 Stat. 818, § 711 ( D.C. Code, § 1-207.11), abolished the District of Columbia Council and the Office of Commissioner of the District of Columbia. These branches of government were replaced by the Council of the District of Columbia and the Office of Mayor of the District of Columbia, respectively. Accordingly, and also pursuant to § 714(a) of such Act ( D.C. Code, § 1-207.14(a)), appropriate changes in terminology were made in this section.