(a) Bills and resolutions. —
(1) In general. — Notwithstanding any other law, except as provided in subsection (c) of this section, all permanent bills and resolutions shall be accompanied by a fiscal impact statement before final adoption by the Council.
(2) Contents. — The fiscal impact statement shall include the estimate of the costs which will be incurred by the District as a result of the enactment of the measure in the current and each of the first four fiscal years for which the act or resolution is in effect, together with a statement of the basis for such estimate.
(b) Appropriations. — Permanent and emergency acts which are accompanied by fiscal impact statements which reflect unbudgeted costs, shall be subject to appropriations prior to becoming effective.
(c) Applicability. — Subsection (a) of this section shall not apply to:
(1) Emergency declaration resolutions;
(2) Ceremonial resolutions;
(3) Confirmation or appointment resolutions;
(4) Sense of the Council resolutions; and
(5) Resolutions that express simple determinations, decisions, or directions of the Council of a special or temporary character as provided for in § 1-204.12(a).
(Sept. 23, 1975, D.C. Law 1-17, § 4a; as added Oct. 16, 2006, 120 Stat. 2038, Pub. L. 109-356, § 204; Mar. 25, 2009, D.C. Law 17-353, § 207, 56 DCR 1117; Dec. 13, 2017, D.C. Law 22-33, § 1082, 64 DCR 7652.)
This section is referenced in § 1-204.24d.
Effect of Amendments
D.C. Law 17-353, in the section credit, validated a previously made technical correction.
For temporary (90 days) amendment of section, see § 3 of the Fiscal Year 2016 Second Budget Support Clarification Emergency Amendment Act of 2015 (D.C. Act 21-202, Nov. 23, 2015, 62 DCR 15276).
For temporary (90 days) amendment of this section, see § 3 of the Fiscal Year 2016 Budget Support Clarification Congressional Review Emergency Amendment Act of 2016 (D.C. Act 21-307, Feb. 18, 2016, 63 DCR 2182).
For temporary (225 days) amendment of this section, see § 3 of the Fiscal Year 2016 Budget Support Clarification Temporary Amendment Act of 2015 (D.C. Law 21-76, Feb. 27, 2016, 63 DCR 264).