(a) The captive manager shall submit to the Risk Officer a plan of operation for the Agency that has been approved by the Commissioner and any amendments to the plan necessary or suitable to assure the fair, reasonable, and equitable administration of the Agency.
(b) The plan of operation shall:
(1) Become effective upon approval in writing by the Commissioner and the Risk Officer;
(2) Establish procedures for the operation of the Agency;
(3) Establish procedures for health centers to qualify to purchase medical malpractice insurance from the Agency;
(4) Establish procedures for offering gap coverage for the District’s Federally Qualified Health Centers;
(5) Establish procedures, under the management of the Risk Officer, for the payment of administrative expenses;
(6) Establish procedures for adjustment and payment of claims made under the policies issued by the Agency, including procedures for administrative review and resolution of disputes arising over such claims;
(7) Establish procedures for tail coverage to health centers purchasing medical malpractice liability coverage through the Agency;
(8) Develop standards for the level of subsidies that shall be provided to health centers to offset premiums due to the Agency;
(9) Establish rules, conditions, and procedures for facilitating the reinsurance of risks of participating health centers;
(10) Establish risk management standards to which the health centers shall adhere and auditing procedures for the compliance of risk management standards by health centers;
(11) Establish underwriting guidelines for policyholders; and
(12) Provide for other matters as may be necessary and proper for the execution of the Risk Officer’s and the captive manager’s respective powers, duties, and obligations under this part.
(July 18, 2008, D.C. Law 17-196, § 8, 55 DCR 6261; Dec. 24, 2013, D.C. Law 20-61, § 1032(f), 60 DCR 12472; Oct. 8, 2016, D.C. Law 21-160, § 1032(d), 63 DCR 10775; July 3, 2018, D.C. Law 22-123, § 2(e), 65 DCR 5088.)
Effect of Amendments
The 2013 amendment by D.C. Law 20-61 added (b)(4A).
For temporary (90 days) amendment of this section, see § 2(d) of the Captive Earthquake Property Insurance Emergency Act of 2013 (D.C. Act 20-39, March 20, 2013, 60 DCR 4663, 20 DCSTAT 523).
For temporary (90 days) amendment of this section, see § 2(d) of the Captive Earthquake Property Insurance Congressional Review Emergency Act of 2013 (D.C. Act 20-85, June 19, 2013, 60 DCR 9536, 20 DCSTAT 1441).
For temporary (90 days) amendment of this section, see § 1032(f) of the Fiscal Year 2014 Budget Support Emergency Act of 2013 (D.C. Act 20-130, July 30, 2013, 60 DCR 11384, 20 DCSTAT 1827).
For temporary (90 days) amendment of this section, see § 1032(f) of the Fiscal Year 2014 Budget Support Congressional Review Emergency Act of 2013 (D.C. Act 20-204, October 17, 2013, 60 DCR 15341, 20 DCSTAT 2311).
For temporary (225 days) amendment of this section, see § 2(d) of the Captive Earthquake Property Insurance Temporary Amendment Act of 2013 (D.C. Law 20-9, June 22, 2013, 60 DCR 6407, 20 DCSTAT 1277).
Section 1031 of D.C. Law 20-61 provided that Subtitle D of Title I of the act may be cited as the “Captive Insurance Amendment Act of 2013”.