(a) The Mayor shall develop and adopt a workplace wellness policy for the District government no later than one year following February 26, 2015. The workplace wellness policy shall be reviewed and updated annually.
(b) The workplace wellness policy required by subsection (a) of this section shall apply to all District agencies, including independent District agencies and the Council of the District of Columbia, but excluding boards and commissions, Advisory Neighborhood Commissions, and the Courts.
(c) The workplace wellness policy required by subsection (a) of this section shall include initiatives that:
(1) Establish measurable goals for improving the health of District government employees;
(2) Improve nutrition in the workplace, including:
(A) Expanding opportunities for employees to store lunches and foods in District buildings; and
(B) Promoting the availability and consumption of water throughout the day;
(3) Improve the physical fitness of employees and physical activity during the work day, including:
(A) Providing opportunities for employees to exercise at their desks and offices; and
(B) Ensuring that staircases are accessible and their use is encouraged;
(4) Promote healthy living and educate employees about physical activity, healthy eating, stress management, and disease prevention;
(5) Provide for early detection and screening for key health indicators; and
(6) Support changes in the work environment to encourage healthy behaviors and breastfeeding and promote occupational safety and health.
(d) Each agency shall designate one employee as the agency’s wellness coordinator who shall have the responsibility of implementing the wellness policy in the agency and promoting wellness programs.
(e) It is the goal of the District for each agency to achieve the American Heart Association’s gold-level designation as a “Fit-Friendly” workplace or other evidence-based workplace initiatives of national or local health organizations.
For temporary (90 days) addition of this section, see § 1092 of the Fiscal Year 2015 Budget Support Emergency Act of 2014 (D.C. Act 20-377, July 14, 2014, 61 DCR 7598, 20 STAT 3696).
For temporary (90 days) addition of this section, see § 1092 of the Fiscal Year 2015 Budget Support Congressional Review Emergency Act of 2014 (D.C. Act 20-449, October 10, 2014, 61 DCR 10915, 20 STAT 4188).
For temporary (90 days) addition of this section, see § 1092 of the Fiscal Year 2015 Budget Support Second Congressional Review Emergency Act of 2014 (D.C. Act 20-566, January 9, 2015, 62 DCR 884, 21 STAT 541).