(a) There is established, as a subordinate agency within the executive branch of the District government, the Department of General Services (“Department”), which shall be headed by a Director who shall carry out the functions and authorities assigned to the Department.
(b) The functions of the Department shall be to:
(1) Manage the capital improvement and construction program for District government facilities, including the modernization or new construction of District facilities by approving and authorizing decisions at every stage of modernization and new construction, including planning, design, procurement, and construction, in accordance with the approved Capital Improvement Plan;
(2) Acquire real property, by purchase or lease, for use by the District government;
(3) Manage space in buildings and adjacent areas operated and leased by the District government, assist District agencies in implementing space plans, and administer the employee parking program;
(4) Provide building services for facilities owned and occupied by the District government, including engineering services, custodial services, security services, energy conservation, utilities management, maintenance, inspection and planning, and repairs and non-structural improvements;
(5) Administer the disposition of District real and personal property through sale, lease, or other authorized method, and to exercise other acquisition and property disposition authority delegated by the Mayor; and
(6) Manage data and information needs pertaining to real property, including maintaining inventory records for tracking and controlling District-owned, controlled, and leased space.
For temporary (90 day) addition, see § 1002 of Fiscal Year 2012 Budget Support Emergency Act of 2011 (D.C. Act 19-93, June 29, 2011, 58 DCR 5599).
Short title: Section 1021 of D.C. Law 19-21 provided that subtitle C of title I of the act may be cited as “Department of General Services Establishment Act of 2011”.