For the purposes of this subchapter, the term:
(1) “Beneficiary” means a person that receives property under a transfer on death deed.
(2) “Designated beneficiary” means a person designated to receive property in a transfer on death deed.
(3) “Joint owner” means an individual who owns property concurrently with one or more other individuals with a right of survivorship. The term “joint owner” includes a joint tenant and tenancy by the entirety. The term “joint owner” does not include a tenancy in common.
(4) “Person” means an individual, estate, business or nonprofit entity, public corporation, government or governmental subdivision, agency, or instrumentality, or any other legal entity.
(5) “Property” means an interest in real property located in the District of Columbia, which is transferable on the death of the owner.
(6) “Transfer on death deed” means a deed authorized under this subchapter.
(7) “Transferor” means an individual who makes a transfer on death deed.