(a) Within 180 days of the effective date of this subchapter, the Deputy Mayor for Planning and Economic Development shall submit to the Mayor and the Council a report on opportunities for establishing a District-sponsored Innovation Space and Marketplace to support the local maker community by providing a central venue in which members can work and display and sell their products.
(b) The report shall:
(1) Identify District property for potential use as an Innovative Space and Marketplace;
(2) Estimate the cost of developing potential sites for such use;
(3) Estimate the costs of operating and maintaining the site;
(4) Assess the availability of public-private partnerships to develop an Innovation Space and Marketplace;
(5) Assess the availability of private donations, grants, or sponsorships to support the Innovation Space and Marketplace and the purchase of a wide range of equipment, such as tools for:
(A) 3D printing and prototyping;
(C) Metal working and welding;
(E) Screen printing;
(F) Electronics; and
(G) Robotics; and
(6) Consider the most efficient management option for an Innovative Space and Marketplace.
(c) In preparing the report, the Deputy Mayor for Planning and Economic Development shall work with a variety of stakeholders, including:
(1) Diverse members of the maker community;
(2) Local creative organizations;
(3) Universities and colleges;
(4) The Commission on Arts and Humanities; and
(5) The Department.
Applicability of D.C. Law 21-135: § 7 of D.C. Law 21-135 provided that the addition of this section by § 5 of D.C. Law 21-135 is subject to the inclusion of the law’s fiscal effect in an approved budget and financial plan. Therefore that amendment has not been implemented.