(a) There is established, as part of the District of Columbia government, a Youth Advisory Council (“Youth Council”).
(b) The Youth Council shall advise the Mayor, the Council of the District of Columbia, District of Columbia Public Schools, public charter schools, other key decision makers in the District government, and adult leaders in the District by:
(1) Commenting on legislation and policies that impact youth;
(2) Presenting methods to resolve conflicts involving youth;
(3) Presenting issues that affect youth and providing recommendations to improve the lives of youth;
(4) Monitoring programs and policies that affect youth to ensure that they are achieving the intended results; and
(5) Working with other youth organizations in the District to:
(A) Provide mutual support;
(B) Collaborate on shared issues and interests;
(C) Advise one another on ways to increase their effectiveness;
(D) Assist in the start-up of new youth organizations, including youth organizations for each ward of the District;
(E) Prepare youth for leadership positions by providing appropriate training; and
(F) Create more youth and adult partnerships.
(c) The Youth Council shall convene a general assembly of youth organizations within the District on a regularly scheduled basis.
This section is referenced in § 2-1561.