Code of the District of Columbia

§ 2–207.01. Sewerage agreement with Maryland.

For the protection of streams flowing through United States government parks and reservations in the District of Columbia from pollution by sewage discharged therein from sewerage systems of Maryland towns and villages bordering said District, the Mayor is authorized to enter into an agreement with the proper authorities of the State of Maryland for the drainage of such sewerage systems into and through the sewerage system of the District of Columbia; and the said Mayor is further authorized to permit connections of Maryland sewers with the District of Columbia sewerage system at or near the District line whenever, in his judgment, the sanitary conditions of streams flowing into and through such United States government parks and reservations in the District of Columbia are such as to demand the elimination of such pollution: Provided, that all cost of construction of such sewers to and connection with the sewerage system of the District of Columbia shall be paid by the proper authorities of the State of Maryland, and that said State shall enter into such agreement with the Mayor and shall guarantee the protection of the District of Columbia sewerage system from unauthorized connections thereto, and shall reimburse the District of Columbia for the actual cost of pumping and handling such sewerage by annual payments for such service as determined by the Mayor in such agreement; all such sums collected therefor to be paid into the Treasury of the United States through the Director of the Department of Finance and Revenue to the credit of the District of Columbia.


(Sept. 1, 1916, 39 Stat. 717, ch. 433, § 9.)

Prior Codifications

1981 Ed., § 1-1120.

1973 Ed., § 1-817.

Section References

This section is referenced in § 34-2132.

Cross References

Sanitary sewage works, charges to users, see § 34-2132.

Water pollution control, see § 8-103.01 et seq.

References in Text

Pursuant to the Office of the Chief Financial Officer’s “Notice of Public Interest” published in the April 18, 1997, issue of the District of Columbia Register ( 44 DCR 2345) the Office of Tax and Revenue assumed all of the duties and functions previously performed by the Department of Finance and Revenue, as set forth in Commissioner’s Order 69-96, dated March 7, 1969. This action was made effective January 22, 1997, nunc pro tunc.

Editor's Notes

Office of Collector of Taxes abolished: The Office of the Collector of Taxes was abolished and the functions thereof transferred to the Board of Commissioners of the District of Columbia by Reorganization Plan No. 5 of 1952. All functions of the Office of the Collector of Taxes including the functions of all officers, employees and subordinate agencies were transferred to the Director, Department of General Administration by Reorganization Order No. 3, dated August 28, 1952. Reorganization Order No. 20, dated November 10, 1952, transferred the functions of the Collector of Taxes to the Finance Office. The same Order provided for the Office of the Collector of Taxes headed by a Collector in the Finance Office, and abolished the previously existing Office of the Collector of Taxes. Reorganization Order No. 20 was superseded and replaced by Organization Order No. 121, dated December 12, 1957, which provided that the Finance Office (consisting of the Office of the Finance Officer, Property Tax Division, Revenue Division, Treasury Division, Accounting Division, and Data Processing Division) would continue under the direction and control of the Director of General Administration, and that the Treasury Division would perform the function of collecting revenues of the District of Columbia and depositing the same with the Treasurer of the United States. Organization Order No. 121 was revoked by Organization Order No. 3, dated December 13, 1967, Part IVC of which prescribed the functions of the Finance Office within a newly established Department of General Administration. The executive functions of the Board of Commissioners were transferred to the Commissioner of the District of Columbia by § 401 of Reorganization Plan No. 3 of 1967. Functions of the Finance Office as stated in Part IVC of Organization Order No. 3 were transferred to the Director of the Department of Finance and Revenue by Commissioner’s Order No. 69-96, dated March 7, 1969. The collection functions of the Director of the Department of Finance and Revenue were transferred to the District of Columbia Treasurer by § 47-316 on March 5, 1981.

Change in Government

This section originated at a time when local government powers were delegated to a Board of Commissioners of the District of Columbia (see Acts Relating to the Establishment of the District of Columbia and its Various Forms of Governmental Organization in Volume 1). Section 401 of Reorganization Plan No. 3 of 1967 (see Reorganization Plans in Volume 1) transferred all of the functions of the Board of Commissioners under this section to a single Commissioner. The District of Columbia Self-Government and Governmental Reorganization Act, 87 Stat. 818, § 711 ( D.C. Code, § 1-207.11), abolished the District of Columbia Council and the Office of Commissioner of the District of Columbia. These branches of government were replaced by the Council of the District of Columbia and the Office of Mayor of the District of Columbia, respectively. Accordingly, and also pursuant to § 714(a) of such Act ( D.C. Code, § 1-207.14(a)), appropriate changes in terminology were made in this section.