The buildings and grounds adjoining the Washington Asylum in the District of Columbia, used prior to June 16, 1880, as a naval and army magazine are added to the grounds of the Washington Asylum and Jail and subjected to the control of the Mayor of the District of Columbia as part of the Asylum until otherwise ordered.
(June 16, 1880, 21 Stat. 270, ch. 235; Mar. 2, 1911, 36 Stat. 1003, ch. 192.)
1981 Ed., § 24-420.
1973 Ed., § 24-420.
Change in Government
This section originated at a time when local government powers were delegated to a Board of Commissioners of the District of Columbia (see Acts Relating to the Establishment of the District of Columbia and its Various Forms of Governmental Organization in Volume 1). Section 401 of Reorganization Plan No. 3 of 1967 (see Reorganization Plans in Volume 1) transferred all of the functions of the Board of Commissioners under this section to a single Commissioner. The District of Columbia Self-Government and Governmental Reorganization Act, 87 Stat. 818, § 711 ( D.C. Code, § 1-207.11), abolished the District of Columbia Council and the Office of Commissioner of the District of Columbia. These branches of government were replaced by the Council of the District of Columbia and the Office of Mayor of the District of Columbia, respectively. Accordingly, and also pursuant to § 714(a) of such Act ( D.C. Code, § 1-207.14(a)), appropriate changes in terminology were made in this section.