(a) Upon formation of a partnership under § 29-602.02(a), a person becomes a partner.
(b) After formation of a partnership, a person becomes a partner:
(1) As provided in the partnership agreement;
(2) As a result of a transaction effective under Subchapter [subchapter] IX of this chapter or Chapter 2 of this title; or
(3) With the consent of all the partners.
(c) A person may become a partner without:
(1) Acquiring a transferable interest; or
(2) Making or being obligated to make a contribution to the partnership.
1981 Ed., § 41-154.2.
2001 Ed., § 33-104.02.
This section is referenced in § 29-601.02.
Effect of Amendments
The 2013 amendment by D.C. Law 19-210 rewrote the section, which formerly read: “Distributions in kind. A partner shall have no right to receive, and shall not be required to accept, a distribution in kind.”
Uniform Law: This section is based on § 402 of the Uniform Partnership Act (1997 Act). See Vol. 6, Part I , Uniform Laws Annotated, Master Edition.
Application of Law 19-210: Section 7 of D.C. Law 19-210 provided that the act shall apply as of January 1, 2012.