(a) The Criminal Code Reform Commission ("Commission"") is established as an independent agency within the District of Columbia government, consistent with the meaning of the term "independent agency" as provided in § 1-603.01(13).
(b) The Commission shall be composed of the Executive Director and such staff as necessary to complete the work of the Commission.
(c)(1) Except as provided in paragraph (2) of this subsection, the Executive Director shall be appointed by the Chairman of the Council, subject to the approval of the majority of the Council. The Executive Director shall serve for a term of 3 years, and shall be paid a rate of compensation as may be established from time to time by the Council.
(2) Notwithstanding paragraph (1) of this subsection, as of October 8, 2016, the Criminal Code Revision Project Director of the District of Columbia Sentencing and Criminal Code Revision Commission shall be the Executive Director of the Commission.
(d) The Executive Director shall:
(1) Be a member in good standing of the District of Columbia Bar;
(2) Be responsible for and oversee the daily operations of the Commission;
(3) Supervise Commission staff; and
(4) Develop and institute internal policies, procedures, and processes to ensure efficient operations.
(e)(1) Except as provided in paragraph (2) of this subsection, all employees of the Commission shall be, or shall become within 180 days after hire, a resident of the District of Columbia
(2) Notwithstanding paragraph (1) of this subsection, the Executive Director as of October 8, 2016 shall be exempt from the residency requirement in paragraph (1) of this subsection.
Expiration of Law
Section 3127 of D.C. Law 21-160 provided that this section shall expire on October 1, 2018.
For temporary (90 days) approval of an annual salary of $160,587.59 for Richard Schmechel, as Executive Director of the Criminal Code Reform Commission, see § 2 of Criminal Code Reform Commission Executive Director Salary Approval Emergency Act of 2016 (D.C. Act 21-526, Oct. 31, 2016, 63 DCR 13607).