Code of the District of Columbia

§ 3–305. Use of Armory by National Guard.

The Armory Board shall set aside for the exclusive use of the District of Columbia National Guard such parts of the headquarters and regimental buildings and basement of the drill hall, and such of the storage rooms contiguous to the drill hall as shown upon drawing A-3, first-floor plan, approved by the Council of the District of Columbia April 19, 1940, as said Armory Board may from time to time find are necessary for the use of the National Guard. The parts of the Armory so set aside for the use of the National Guard shall be under the control and jurisdiction of the Commanding General of the National Guard for all purposes except maintenance and repair of the Armory. The drill hall and those parts of the Armory not set aside for the exclusive use of the National Guard shall be available to the National Guard under schedules for joint use made by the Armory Board so as to carry out the purposes and intent of this subchapter.


(June 4, 1948, 62 Stat. 339, ch. 418, § 5.)

Prior Codifications

1981 Ed., § 2-305.

1973 Ed., § 2-1705.

Section References

This section is referenced in § 3-343.01.

References in Text

The National Guard, referred to throughout this section, was substituted for the Militia pursuant to the Act of February 18, 1909, 35 Stat. 636.

Change in Government

This section originated at a time when local government powers were delegated to a Board of Commissioners of the District of Columbia (see Acts Relating to the Establishment of the District of Columbia and its Various Forms of Governmental Organization in Volume 1). Reorganization Plan No. 3 of 1967 (see Reorganization Plans in Volume 1) transferred all of the functions of the Board of Commissioners under this section to the District of Columbia Council, subject to the right of the Commissioner as provided in § 406 of the Plan. The District of Columbia Self-Government and Governmental Reorganization Act, 87 Stat. 818, § 711 ( D.C. Code, § 1-207.11), abolished the District of Columbia Council and the Office of Commissioner of the District of Columbia. These branches of government were replaced by the Council of the District of Columbia and the Office of Mayor of the District of Columbia, respectively. Accordingly, and also pursuant to § 714(a) of such Act ( D.C. Code, § 1-207.14(a)), appropriate changes in terminology were made in this section.