For the purposes of this chapter, the term:
(1) “AIDS” means acquired immune deficiency syndrome as defined by the Centers for Disease Control of the United States Public Health Service.
(2) “ARC” means AIDS-related complex as defined by the Centers for Disease Control of the United States Public Health Service or, during any period when the Centers for Disease Control have not issued a definition, by the District of Columbia Commission of Public Health.
(3) “District” means the District of Columbia.
(3A) “Gender identity or expression” shall have the same meaning as provided in § 2-1401.02(12A).
(4) “Health maintenance organization” or “HMO” means any person that undertakes to provide or arrange for the delivery of basic health care services to enrollees on a prepaid basis, except for enrollees responsibility for co-payments and deductibles, and qualifies as a health maintenance organization under Chapter 34 of Title 31.
(5) “HIV” means human immunodeficiency virus.
(6) “Mayor” means the Mayor of the District of Columbia.
(7) “Insurer” means any individual, partnership, corporation, association, fraternal benefit association, nonprofit health service plan, health maintenance organization, or other business entity that issues, amends, or renews individual or group health, disability, or life insurance policies or contracts, including health maintenance organization membership contracts, in the District. The term “insurer” shall include Group Hospitalization and Medical Services, Incorporated.
(Aug. 7, 1986, D.C. Law 6-132, § 2, 33 DCR 3615; Mar. 16, 1989, D.C. Law 7-208, § 2(a), 36 DCR 471; June 18, 2003, D.C. Law 14-312, § 301, 50 DCR 306; June 25, 2008, D.C. Law 17-177, § 15(a), 55 DCR 3696.)
1981 Ed., § 35-221.
Effect of Amendments
D.C. Law 14-312 rewrote par. (4) which had read as follows: “(4) ‘Health maintenance organization’ means a public or private organization that is a qualifying health maintenance organization under federal regulations, or has been determined to be a health maintenance organization pursuant to regulations adopted by the State Health Planning and Development Agency of the District of Columbia.”
D.C. Law 17-177 added par. (3A).