For the purposes of this chapter, the term:
(1) “Commissioner” means the Commissioner of Insurance and Securities Regulation [Commissioner of the Department of Insurance, Securities, and Banking].
(2) “District” means the District of Columbia.
(3) “License” means a license issued by the Commissioner to act as a public insurance adjuster.
(4) “Licensee” means any person licensed in the District to do business as a public insurance adjuster.
(5) “Public insurance adjuster” shall include any person who, for compensation or any other thing of value:
(A) Acts or aids, solely in relation to first party claims arising under insurance contracts that insure the real or personal property of the insured, on behalf of an insured individual in negotiating for, or effecting the settlement of, a claim for loss or damage covered by an insurance contract;
(B) Advertises for employment as an adjuster of insurance claims; solicits business or represents himself or herself to the public as an adjuster of first party insurance claims for losses or damages arising out of policies of insurance that insure real or personal property; or
(C) Directly or indirectly solicits business, investigates or adjusts losses, or advises an insured about first party claims for losses or damages arising out of policies of insurance that insure real or personal property for another person engaged in the business of adjusting losses or damages covered by an insurance policy.