For purposes of this chapter, the term:
(1) “Commissioner” means the Commissioner of the Department of Insurance, Securities, and Banking.
(2) “Customer” means a person who purchases portable electronics or services.
(3) “District” means the District of Columbia.
(4) “Enrolled customer” means a customer who elects coverage under a portable electronics insurance policy issued to a vendor of portable electronics.
(5) “Location” means any physical location in the District or any website, call center site, or similar location directed to residents of the District.
(6) “Portable electronics” means electronic devices that are portable in nature, their accessories and services related to the use of the device.
(7)(A) “Portable electronics insurance” means insurance providing coverage for the repair or replacement of portable electronics, which may provide coverage for portable electronics against any one or more of the following causes of loss:
(iii) Inoperability due to mechanical failure;
(iv) Malfunction; or
(v) Damage or other similar causes of loss.
(B) The term “portable electronics insurance” does not include:
(i) A service contract or extended warranty providing coverage limited to the repair, replacement, or maintenance of property for the operational or structural failure of property due to a defect in materials, workmanship, accidental damage from handling, power surges, or normal wear and tear;
(ii) A policy of insurance covering a seller’s or a manufacturer’s obligations under a warranty; or
(iii) A homeowner’s, renter’s, private passenger automobile, commercial, multi-peril, or similar policy.
(8) “Portable electronics transaction” means:
(A) The sale or lease of portable electronics by a vendor to a customer; or
(B) The sale of a service related to the use of portable electronics by a vendor to a customer.
(9) “Supervising entity” means a business entity that is a licensed insurer or insurance producer that is appointed by an insurer to supervise the administration of a portable electronics insurance program.
(10) “Vendor” means a person in the business of engaging in portable electronics transactions directly or indirectly.