For the purposes of this chapter, the term:
(1) "Covered employee" or "building services employee" means an individual performing janitorial services, building maintenance services, or other services in or around a covered location to maintain the repair, cleanliness, and overall quality of the covered location.
(2) "Covered employer" means an individual, group of individuals, partnership, association, corporation, business trust, society, firm, company, joint stock company, or other entity that at a covered location:
(A) Directly employs a covered employee;
(B) Contracts for the services of a covered employee; or
(C) Subcontracts for the services of a covered employee.
(3) "Covered leave" means paid or unpaid temporary leave from work taken by a covered employee pursuant to:
(A) Federal or District law;
(B) An employee handbook; or
(C) A written request voluntarily initiated by the covered employee.
(4) "Covered location" means an office building, commonly owned office park, or a commonly owned and managed group of buildings, with over 350,000 square feet of net rentable commercial office space. The term "covered location" excludes property owned or leased by a health-care facility licensed under subchapter I of Chapter 5 of Title 44, and affiliated subsidiaries.
(5) "Minimum work week" means the minimum number of compensated hours provided to a covered employee in any work week, including weeks in which the covered employee is taking covered leave.
(6) "Office park" means an area where a number of office buildings are together on landscaped grounds, which may include parking lots, parklike surroundings, and restaurants.
(7) "Work week" means a fixed regularly recurring period of 168 hours or 7 consecutive 24-hour periods.
Applicability of D.C. Law 21-157: § 18 of D.C. Law 21-157 provided that the creation of this section by § 2 of D.C. Law 21-157 is subject to the inclusion of the law’s fiscal effect in an approved budget and financial plan. Therefore that amendment has not been implemented.