For the purposes of this chapter, the term:
(1) “Employee” means any individual employed by an employer.
(2) “Employer” means any person who employs or seeks to employ for compensation one or more individuals for a position in the District (but not including the person’s parent, spouse, child, or domestic servant engaged in work in and about the employer’s household). The term “employer” includes any person acting in the interest of the person, directly or indirectly.
(3) “Employment agency” means any person regularly undertaking or attempting, with or without compensation, to procure employees for an employer or to procure for employees opportunities to work for an employer, and includes an agent of that person.
(4) “Potential employee” means any individual who has applied to an employer for a vacant position to gain employment.
(5) “Status as unemployed” means any individual who, at the time of applying for employment, or, who at the time an act alleged to violate this chapter occurs, does not have a job, is available for work, and is seeking employment.