(a) After March 31, 2021, no distributor shall distribute a game of skill machine to a retailer or allow the continued distribution of its game of skill machine at a retailer's licensed establishment, and no retailer shall allow the distribution of a game of skill machine to the retailer or allow the installation or operation of a game of skill machine at its licensed establishment, unless:
(1) The game of skill machine is registered with the Office; and
(2) A registration sticker issued by the Office is affixed to and maintained on the game of skill machine.
(b) The Office shall issue to a distributor or retailer, after approval of an application for registration of a game of skill machine filed by the distributor or retailer with the Office, a registration sticker for placement on the registered game of skill machine. The registration fee for each game of skill machine shall be $100. If the registration sticker is damaged, destroyed, lost, or removed, the retailer shall pay the Office $75 for a replacement registration sticker.
(c)(1) A distributor shall not distribute more than 5 game of skill machines to a licensed establishment at any time.
(2) A retailer shall not allow more than 5 game of skill machines to be operated or located on a licensed premises at any time.
(d) A retailer shall locate its game of skill machines for play only in specific locations approved by ABRA within the retailer's licensed establishment.
(e) A retailer shall post a warning sign and, after March 31, 2021, its retailers license, both maintained in good repair and in a place clearly visible at the point of entry to the designated areas where the game of skill machines are located. The warning sign shall include:
(1) The minimum age required to play a game of skill machine;
(2) The contact information for the District's gambling hotline; and
(3) The contact information for the Office of Lottery and Gaming for purposes of filing a complaint against the manufacturer, distributor, or retailer.
(f) Failure to display the registration sticker, license, or warning sign may result in the Office revoking or suspending the license or issuing a fine against the licensed establishment pursuant to § 36-641.15.
For temporary (90 days) creation of this section, see § 2(b) of Revised Game of Skill Machines Consumer Protections Congressional Review Emergency Amendment Act of 2021 (D.C. Act 24-16, Feb. 26, 2021, 68 DCR 002559).