The purpose of this chapter is to provide for the protection, education, and welfare of the citizens of the District of Columbia and its students, by:
(1) Establishing minimum standards concerning the quality of postsecondary education, ethical and business practices, health and safety, and fiscal responsibility, to protect against substandard, transient, unethical, deceptive, or fraudulent postsecondary educational institutions and practices;
(2) Prohibiting the granting of false or misleading postsecondary educational credentials;
(3) Prohibiting misleading literature, advertising, solicitation, or representation by postsecondary educational institutions or their agents;
(4) Providing for the preservation of essential academic records;
(5) Providing for a commission to advise the Mayor and Council of the District of Columbia as to the postsecondary educational needs of the District of Columbia; and
(6) Providing for a commission to serve as the state approving agency for veterans benefits.
1981 Ed., § 31-1601.
1973 Ed., § 31-2001.
Appropriations authorized: Public Law 102-111, 105 Stat. 563, the District of Columbia Appropriations Act, 1992, provided $477,000 for the Education Licensure Commission. Establishment of District of Columbia Advisory Committee on Education: See Mayor’s Order 89-256, November 7, 1989.