(a) Within 90 days of April 23, 2013, the Mayor, pursuant to subchapter I of Chapter 5 of Title 2 [§ 2-501 et seq.], shall amend existing rules governing youth in foster care, namely, 29 DCMR §§ 6004, 6203, and 6303, (Statement of Rights and Responsibilities for youth in foster homes, group homes, and independent living programs), to:
(1) Incorporate existing rights for youth in foster care provided by local law, federal law, local regulations, agency administrative issuances, and other policy documents; and
(2) State that a youth in foster care has the right to receive and have the youth’s caregivers and guardians ad litem receive, if the youth is under 18 years of age, at least 30 days before leaving care, copies of the youth’s:
(A) Birth certificate;
(B) Original social security card;
(C) State and District identification cards;
(D) Immunization records;
(E) Medical insurance information;
(F) Education portfolios and health records;
(G) Immigration documents; and
(H) Other personal information as the Mayor deems appropriate.
(b) Statements of Rights and Responsibilities required by subsection (a) of this section (“Statements of Rights and Responsibilities”) shall guarantee that each youth will receive the following:
(1) A printed copy of the Statements of Rights and Responsibilities in readily understandable language;
(2) An explanation of each youth’s right to be informed of all decisions made on the youth’s behalf by the Agency;
(3) An explanation of each youth’s right to report violations of the youth’s rights to the Agency;
(4) The process for reporting rights violations to the Agency; and (5) An explanation of the process for contacting the Agency to make concerns about care, placement, and services.
(c) Proposed rules to implement this part shall be submitted to the Council for a 45-day period of review, excluding Saturdays, Sundays, legal holidays, and days of Council recess. If the Council does not approve or disapprove the proposed rules, in whole or in part, by resolution within the 45-day review period, the proposed rules shall be deemed disapproved.
Effect of Amendments
The 2013 amendment by D.C. Law 19-274 added this section.