(a) If the Office of Human Rights determines that there is probable cause to believe that a violation of this chapter has occurred, the Office of Human Rights shall certify the complaint to the Commission on Human Rights, who may impose the following penalties, of which half shall be awarded to the complainant and half shall be awarded to the District of Columbia and deposited into the General Fund of the District of Columbia:
(1) For a housing provider that supplies one to 10 rental units in the District of Columbia, a fine of up to $1,000;
(2) For a housing provider that supplies 11 to 20 rental units in the District of Columbia, a fine of up to $2,500; or
(3) For a housing provider that supplies 21 or more rental units in the District of Columbia, a fine of up to $5,000.
(b) The fines set forth in subsection (a) of this section may be doubled for any housing provider that:
(1) Violates this chapter more than twice within a calendar year; or
(2) Fails to implement a corrective action ordered by the Commission on Human Rights within 90 days after the corrective action is ordered.
(c) For any violation that occurs within 6 months after the date this act applies [July 20, 2017], the Commission on Human Rights shall issue warnings and orders to correct.
Applicability of D.C. Law 21-259: § 11 of D.C. Law 21-259 provided that the creation of this section by § 6 of D.C. Law 21-259 is subject to the inclusion of the law’s fiscal effect in an approved budget and financial plan. Therefore that amendment has not been implemented.
Regarding subsection (c) of this section, this chapter was made applicable by section 7031 of the Fiscal Year 2018 Budget Support Emergency Act of 2017, effective July 20, 2017 (D.C. Act 22-104; 64 DCR 7032).