(a) An executed amendment to a registration shall be filed with the Department when a change occurs in any of the following:
(1) The true and real name of a person conducting a business with a trade name registered under this subchapter;
(2) The mailing address set forth on the trade name application or on a subsequently filed amendment; or
(3) The registered agent’s information set forth on the application.
(b) A notice of cancellation shall be filed with the Department when use of a trade name is discontinued.
(c) A notice of cancellation, together with a new registration, shall be filed before conducting or transacting any business when:
(1) An addition, deletion, or any change of person or persons conducting business under the registered trade name occurs; or
(2) There is a change in the wording or spelling of the trade name.
(d) No person carrying on, conducting, or transacting business under any trade name shall be entitled to maintain any suit in any of the courts of the District of Columbia until the person has properly completed the registration as provided for in this section.
(e) Failure to complete this registration shall not impair the validity of any contract or act of such person or persons and shall not prevent such person or persons from defending any suit in any court of the District.
1981 Ed., § 47-2855.3.
This section is referenced in § 47-2855.01.
Effect of Amendments
The 2013 amendment by D.C. Law 19-210 substituted “trade name application” for “registration” in (a)(2); added (a)(3); and made related changes.
Short title of title II of Law 12-261: See Historical and Statutory Notes following § 47-2855.01.
Application of Law 19-210: Section 7 of D.C. Law 19-210 provided that the act shall apply as of January 1, 2012.