For the purposes of this subchapter, the term:
(1) "Department" means the Department of General Services.
(2) "Horticultural techniques" means the scientific, artistic, and technological methods used to cultivate and manage an agricultural space, such as growing from the ground, hydroponics, container farming, vertical farming, or growing in greenhouses or raised beds.
(3) "Produce" means any substance produced for human consumption and nourishment using horticultural techniques, such as vegetables, fruits, grains, mushrooms, honey, herbs, nuts, seeds, and rootstock.
(4) "Urban farm" means any property in the District of Columbia that is used for the growing, cultivating, processing, and distributing of produce for profit, not for profit, or for educational purposes.
(5) "Vacant land" means land located in the District of Columbia that:
(A) Consists of at least 2,500 contiguous square feet of unimproved land; and
(B) Is not the subject of a pending agreement for development or sale.
1981 Ed., § 33-901.
This section is referenced in § 10-166.01.
Effect of Amendments
The 2015 amendment by D.C. Law 20-248 rewrote this section.
For temporary (90 days) amendment of D.C. Law 20-248, § 302, see § 6183 of the Fiscal Year 2016 Budget Support Emergency Act of 2015 (D.C. Act 21-127, July 27, 2015, 62 DCR 10201).