*NOTE: This section includes amendments by temporary legislation that will expire on July 16, 2021. To view the text of this section after the expiration of all emergency and temporary legislation affecting this section, click this link: Permanent Version.*
(a) The Department shall implement a program of continuing education for its sworn members, which shall consist of a minimum of 32 hours of training each year.
(b) The continuing education required by subsection (a) of this section shall include, at a minimum, instruction on:
(1) Community policing;
(2) Recognizing and preventing biased-based policing, racism, and white supremacy;
(3) Limiting the use of force and employing de-escalation tactics;
(4) The prohibition on the use of neck restraints;
(5) Mental and behavioral health awareness;
(6) Linguistic and cultural competency;
(7) Obtaining voluntary, knowing, and intelligent consent from the subject of a search, when that search is based solely on the subject's consent; and
(8) The duty of a sworn officer to report, and the method for reporting, suspected misconduct or excessive use of force by a law enforcement official that a sworn member observes or that comes to the sworn member's attention, as well as any governing District laws and regulations and Department written directives.
For temporary (90 days) amendment of this section, see § 111(a) of Comprehensive Policing and Justice Reform Congressional Review Emergency Amendment Act of 2020 (D.C. Act 23-437, Oct. 28, 2020, 67 DCR 12993).