(a) The Department shall be headed by a Director who shall be appointed by the Mayor, with the advice and consent of the Council, pursuant to § 1-523.01(a).
(b) The Director shall be knowledgeable about forensic science services and experienced in the rigors of scientific analysis. The Director shall have:
(1) Graduated from an accredited college or university with a masters or doctoral degree in an applicable area of science;
(2) Demonstrated training and experience in scientific research and methodology;
(3) Demonstrated management and administrative skills;
(4) Demonstrated comprehensive knowledge of forensic sciences;
(5) A minimum of 6 years experience in scientific research, forensic sciences, or a combination thereof; and
(6) A minimum of 4 years experience in directing or supervising both scientific and administrative staff in a forensic science, medical, or research setting.
(d) The Director shall be appointed for a 4-year term.
(e) If a vacancy in the position of the Director occurs as a consequence of any reason, the Mayor shall appoint a successor for a new term, in the same manner provided by this chapter.