(a)(1) There is hereby established the District of Columbia Motor Vehicle Biennial Inspection Fund (“the Fund”). The Fund shall be a revolving fund and not be a part of nor lapse into the General Fund of the District or any other fund of the District.
(2) The Fund shall be classified as a governmental fund and shall be accounted for in accordance with subchapter V of Chapter 3 of Title 47, and any other applicable law.
(b) The Mayor shall administer the Fund to finance the following:
(1) The implementation, oversight, operation, and periodic upgrading of the District of Columbia’s Enhanced Vehicle Emissions Inspection Program and its vehicle safety inspection program; and
(2) The purchase, maintenance, and upgrading of equipment; program administration; technical skills training; contracts for services; and any other activities necessary to comply with federal and District of Columbia vehicle emissions and safety inspections legislative mandates.
(c) The inspection fee levied and collected pursuant to § 50-1101, shall be established in an amount sufficient to cover the costs of implementation, operation, and periodic upgrading of the District of Columbia’s vehicle emissions and safety inspection programs, and shall be deposited into the Fund. The Mayor may, from time to time, adopt rules that adjust the inspection fee as necessary to compensate the District for the cost of implementing, overseeing, operating, and upgrading the vehicle emissions and safety inspection programs, and such adjustments shall be made in accordance with an evaluation of the annual audited accounting required by subsection (d) of this section.
(d) Obligations and expenditures of amounts from the Fund shall be based on an annual appropriation approved by Congress following the submission of a budgetary request by the Mayor. As part of the Mayor’s annual budgetary request, the Mayor shall submit an audited accounting of the use of the Fund during the previous fiscal year.
1981 Ed., § 40-202.
1973 Ed., § 40-202.
This section is referenced in § 50-1106.
Office of Collector of Taxes abolished: The Office of the Collector of Taxes was abolished and the functions thereof transferred to the Board of Commissioners of the District of Columbia by Reorganization Plan No. 5 of 1952. All functions of the Office of the Collector of Taxes including the functions of all officers, employees and subordinate agencies were transferred to the Director, Department of General Administration by Reorganization Order No. 3, dated August 28, 1952. Reorganization Order No. 20, dated November 10, 1952, transferred the functions of the Collector of Taxes to the Finance Office. The same Order provided for the Office of the Collector of Taxes headed by a Collector in the Finance Office, and abolished the previously existing Office of the Collector of Taxes. Reorganization Order No. 20 was superseded and replaced by Organization Order No. 121, dated December 12, 1957, which provided that the Finance Office (consisting of the Office of the Finance Officer, Property Tax Division, Revenue Division, Treasury Division, Accounting Division, and Data Processing Division) would continue under the direction and control of the Director of General Administration, and that the Treasury Division would perform the function of collecting revenues of the District of Columbia and depositing the same with the Treasurer of the United States. Organization Order No. 121 was revoked by Organization Order No. 3, dated December 13, 1967, Part IVC of which prescribed the functions of the Finance Office within a newly established Department of General Administration. The executive functions of the Board of Commissioners were transferred to the Commissioner of the District of Columbia by § 401 of Reorganization Plan No. 3 of 1967. Functions of the Finance Office as stated in Part IVC of Organization Order No. 3 were transferred to the Director of the Department of Finance and Revenue by Commissioner’s Order No. 69-96, dated March 7, 1969.