That the real property, together with all structures thereon on September 21, 1966, described as lot 800, square 1186, of the District of Columbia, commonly known as the Old Georgetown Market, is hereby declared a historic landmark, and the Mayor of the District of Columbia is authorized and directed to preserve such property as a historic landmark and to operate and maintain it as a public market, except that the Mayor is authorized to enter into an agreement with the Secretary of the Interior to provide for the use of a portion of such property as a museum to be operated by the Secretary in connection with the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal. Such property shall not be used under authority of any provision of law for any purpose not provided in this section unless:
(1) Such law is enacted after September 21, 1966; and
(2) Specifically authorizes such property to be used for such other purpose.
1981 Ed., § 5-1106.
1973 Ed., § 5-806.
This section is referenced in § 6-1207.
Change in Government
This section originated at a time when local government powers were delegated to a Board of Commissioners of the District of Columbia (see Acts Relating to the Establishment of the District of Columbia and its Various Forms of Governmental Organization in Volume 1). Section 401 of Reorganization Plan No. 3 of 1967 (see Reorganization Plans in Volume 1) transferred all of the functions of the Board of Commissioners under this section to a single Commissioner. The District of Columbia Self-Government and Governmental Reorganization Act, 87 Stat. 818, § 711 ( D.C. Code, § 1-207.11), abolished the District of Columbia Council and the Office of Commissioner of the District of Columbia. These branches of government were replaced by the Council of the District of Columbia and the Office of Mayor of the District of Columbia, respectively. Accordingly, and also pursuant to § 714(a) of such Act ( D.C. Code, § 1-207.14(a)), appropriate changes in terminology were made in this section.