For the purposes of this chapter, the term:
(1) “Circumference” means the linear distance around the trunk of a tree, when measured at a height of 4 1/2 feet.
(2) “Director” means the Director of the Department of Transportation.
(3) “Hazardous tree” means a tree that, in the opinion of a certified arborist, is defective, diseased, dying, or dead and should be removed; poses a high risk of failure or fracture with the potential to cause injury to people or damage to property and should be removed; or is causing damage to property or structures that cannot be mitigated in any manner other than removal of the tree. In any case, the Mayor shall have the authority to determine that a tree is not hazardous.
(3A) "Heritage Tree" means a tree with a circumference of 100 inches or more.
(4) “Public parking” means that area of public space devoted to open space, greenery, parks, or parking that lies between the property line, which may or may not coincide with the building restriction line, and the edge of the actual or planned sidewalk that is nearer to the property line, as the property line and sidewalk are shown on the records of the District.
(5) “Special Tree” means a tree with a circumference between 44 inches and 100 inches.
(6) “Top” means, as defined by the latest edition of the ANSI-A300 pruning standards, the unacceptable act of tree pruning resulting in the indiscriminate reduction of the tree’s crown leading to disfigurement or death of the tree.
(7) “Tree Fund” means the Tree Fund established pursuant to § 8-651.07.
Applicability of D.C. Law 21-133: § 4(b) of D.C. Law 21-133 provided that the change made to this section by § 2(a) of D.C. Law 21-133 is subject to the inclusion of the law’s fiscal effect in an approved budget and financial plan. Therefore that amendment has not been implemented.
For temporary (90 days) amendment of section 4(a) of D.C. Law 21-133, see § 6122 of Fiscal Year 2018 Budget Support Congressional Review Emergency Act of 2017 (D.C. Act 22-167, Oct. 24, 2017, 64 DCR 10802).
For temporary (90 days) amendment of section 4(a) of D.C. Law 21-133, see § 6122 of Fiscal Year 2018 Budget Support Emergency Act of 2017 (D.C. Act 22-104, July 20, 2017, 64 DCR 7032).
"(a) Section 2(b)(1) and (c) shall not apply to:
"(1) A tree with a circumference of 55 inches or more for which a person or nongovernmental entity has an application for a tree removal permit, which is subsequently approved, pending as of the effective date of this act; or
"(2) A tree with a circumference of 100 inches or more that is located on residential property for which a District resident has a building permit application, which is subsequently approved, for a single-family home that contemplates removal of the tree pending as of October 1, 2016."
Section 4(a) of D.C. Law 21-133 provided that section 2(a), (b)(1), and (c) of Law 21-133 shall not apply to a person or nongovernmental entity who has an application for a Special Tree removal permit pending as of July 1, 20016.