(a) The Secretary of Transportation is authorized to make grants to the Transit Authority, in addition to the contributions authorized by sections 3 and 14, for the purpose of financing in part the cost of construction of the Adopted Regional System.
(b) Federal grants under subsection (a) for the Adopted Regional System shall be subject to the following limitations and conditions:
(1) The work for which such grants are authorized shall be subject to the provisions of the Compact and shall be for projects included in the Adopted Regional System.
(2) The aggregate amount of such Federal grants made during any fiscal year shall be matched by the local participating governments by payment of capital contributions of not less than 60 percent of the amount of such Federal grants and shall be provided in cash from sources other than Federal funds or revenues from the operation of public mass transportation systems. Any public or private transit system funds so provided shall be solely from undistributed cash surpluses, replacement or depreciation funds or reserves available in cash, or new capital.
(3) Such grants shall be subject to terms and conditions that the Secretary may deem appropriate for constructing the Adopted Regional System in a cost-effective manner which maximizes the rate at which appropriated funds can be utilized to complete all segments for which funds have been authorized.
(c) In addition to funds authorized under section 14, there is authorized to be appropriated to the Secretary of Transportation for the purpose of making grants to complete the Adopted Regional System as provided in subsection (a) an aggregate amount not to exceed $1,300,000,000 to be available in increments over 8 fiscal years beginning in fiscal year 1992, or until expended.
(d) Amounts appropriated pursuant to the authorization under subsection (c) —
(1) shall remain available until expended; and
(2) shall be in addition to, and not in lieu of, amounts available to the Transit Authority under the Urban Mass Transportation Act of 1964, as amended, and § 103(e)(4) of Title 23, United States Code.
1981 Ed., § 1-2465.1.
References in Text
“Sections 3 and 14”, referred to in (a), and “section 14”, referred to in (c), are section 3 of 83 Stat. 320, Pub. L. 91-143, December 9, 1969, and section 14 of Pub. L. 91-143, as added January 3, 1980, 93 Stat. 1320, Pub. L. 96-184.
“Urban Mass Transportation Act of 1964” referred to in (d)(2), is codified at 49 U.S.C. § 5301 et seq.
Section 103(e)(4) of Title 23, United States Code referred to in (d)(2) no longer exists after the substantial revision of § 103 by Pub. L. 105-178, Title I, §§ 1106(b), 1212(a)(2)(A), June 9, 1998, 112 Stat. 131, 193.