§ 2–1571. Definitions.
For the purposes of this subchapter, the term:
(1) “Acceptable level of school attendance” means that a student has not accrued unexcused absences exceeding 5% of the total days in a school year and has not violated the requirements for mandatory school attendance under § 38-202.
(2) “Eligible District youth” means an individual who is a domiciliary of the District and is between 14 and 19 years of age.
(3) “Institute” means the Mayor’s Youth Leadership Institute.
§ 2–1572. Establishment.
(a) The Mayor shall establish an Institute to be known as the Mayor’s Youth Leadership Institute and shall provide programs in professional development, leadership training, and personal development for all eligible District youth. The focus of the program shall include:
(1) Building skill expertise in word processing, Powerpoint presentations, and database and spreadsheet maintenance;
(2) Drafting memos, letters, and press releases; and
(3) Public speaking.
(b) The program shall seek to ensure that participants reach proficiency in these skills which are essential to successfully compete for and retain employment.
(c) The programs shall include:
(1) A school-year program to provide services and instruction to at least 500 eligible District youth; and
(2) A summer training program that shall consist of 2 sessions, each conducted over a 2-week period at a District college or university, and provide services and instruction to at least 250 eligible District youth.
§ 2–1573. Eligibility.
(a) First time participants in the program shall maintain an acceptable level of school attendance during the preceding academic year in order participate. The superintendent of schools or his designee shall certify that each prospective participant has maintained an acceptable level of school attendance during the preceding academic year.
(b) Eligible District youth participating twice or more in the program shall maintain an acceptable level of school attendance and at least a 2.0 cumulative grade point average during the preceding academic year. The superintendent of schools or his designee shall certify that each of these participants has maintained an acceptable level of school attendance and at least a 2.0 cumulative grade point average during the preceding academic year.
§ 2–1574. Rules.
The Mayor shall issue rules to implement the provisions of this subchapter. The proposed rules shall be submitted by the Mayor to the Council for review and approval.