§ 1–155. Commemorative flags.
(a)(1) An individual or organization may request from the Council, through an individual Councilmember, a District of Columbia flag that has been flown at the John A. Wilson Building, including on a specific date; provided, that a request for a flag flown on a specific date shall be made at least 10 business days before that date.
(2) Nothing in this section shall bind the Council to fulfill a request for a flag flown on a specific date.
(b)(1) A flag provided pursuant to subsection (a) of this section shall be accompanied by a personalized certificate that identifies the requestor to whom it is issued and authenticates that the flag was flown at the John A. Wilson Building on a specific date.
(2) The certificate issued pursuant to this subsection shall be signed by the Secretary to the Council.
(c) The Secretary to the Council may maintain an inventory of flags that have been flown at the John A. Wilson building so as to be able to fulfill requests for flags that do not specify a particular date; provided, that the date that each such flag was flown be cataloged for inclusion in the certificate to be issued pursuant to subsection (b) of this section.
(d) The Secretary to the Council shall:
(1) Develop a process and form for commemorative flag requests that shall provide an option for the requestor to donate to the New Columbia Statehood Fund established by § 1-129.32;
(2) Establish size, material, design, and vendor-source guidelines for flags to be flown and provided pursuant to this section; and
(3) Establish and collect a fee that covers:
(A) The cost of the flag and the certificate; and
(B) The cost of shipping or delivering the flag and certificate to the requestor.
(e) Funds collected pursuant to this section shall be credited as follows:
(1) The fee covering the cost of the flag and the certificate shall be deposited in the Council Reimbursement Fund established by § 1-156.
(2) Any donation to the New Columbia Statehood Fund shall be deposited in the New Columbia Statehood Fund established by § 1-129.32.