(a) Whoever, having a spouse or domestic partner living, marries or enters a domestic partnership with another shall be deemed guilty of bigamy, and on conviction thereof shall suffer imprisonment for not less than 2 nor more than 7 years; provided, that this section shall not apply to any person whose:
(1) Spouse or domestic partner has been continually absent for 5 successive years next before such marriage or domestic partnership without being known to such person to be living within that time;
(2) Marriage to said living spouse shall have been dissolved by a valid decree of a competent court, or shall have been pronounced void by a valid decree of a competent court on the ground of the nullity of the marriage contract; or
(3) Domestic partnership with said living domestic partner has been terminated in accordance with § 32-702(d), or § 16-904(e).
(a-1) In addition to any other penalty provided under this section, a person may be fined an amount not more than the amount set forth in § 22-3571.01.
(b) For the purposes of this section, the term:
(1) “Domestic partner” shall have the same meaning as provided in § 32-701(3).
(2) “Domestic partnership” shall have the same meaning as provided in § 32-701(4).