§ 24–481.04. Composition.
(a) The Board shall consist of the following members:
(1) Five individuals appointed by the Mayor pursuant to § 1-523.01(e), with the following qualifications:
(A) One member with a background in returning citizen issues;
(B) One mental-health professional;
(C) One member with a background in victim's rights;
(D) One member of the District of Columbia Bar in good standing, with experience in criminal law; and
(E) One District resident community member;
(2) The Attorney General for the District of Columbia, or the Attorney General's designee; and
(3) The chairperson of the Council committee with jurisdiction over judiciary and public safety matters, or the chairperson's designee.
(b) In addition to the members described in subsection (a) of this section, the Mayor shall invite the Director of the Public Defender Service for the District of Columbia, or the Director's designee, and the United States Attorney for the District of Columbia, or the United States Attorney's designee, to participate as members of the Board.
(c) The Board shall select a chairperson from among the members appointed pursuant to subsection (a)(1) of this section.
(d)(1) At the first meeting of the Board, the Board shall determine what constitutes a quorum for the transaction of business.
(2) Applications for clemency shall be approved for recommendation to the President of the United States by a majority vote of the members present and voting.
(e)(1) Board members appointed pursuant to subsection (a)(1) of this section shall serve for terms of 4 years, except as provided in paragraph (2) of this subsection.
(2) Of the members initially appointed under subsection (a)(1) of this section, 3 members shall be appointed to serve for a 4-year term and 2 members shall be appointed to serve for a 3-year term. The terms of the members first appointed pursuant to subsection (a)(1) of this section shall begin on the date by which a majority of the members appointed pursuant to subsection (a)(1) of this section are sworn in, which shall become the anniversary date for all subsequent appointments.