§ 3–602. Definitions.
For purposes of this chapter, the term:
(1) "Commission" means the District of Columbia Combat Sports Commission established by § 3-604.
(2) "Domestic partner" shall have the same meaning as provided in § 32-701(3).
(3) "Kickboxing" means unarmed stand-up combat that combines boxing with different disciplines of the martial arts, including kicking and striking.
(4) "Mixed martial arts" means unarmed combat involving the use of a combination of techniques from different disciplines of the martial arts, including grappling, kicking, and striking.
(5) "Participant" means a boxer, wrestler, performer of martial arts, performer of mixed martial arts, second, manager, matchmaker, promoter, referee, judge, timekeeper, announcer, usher, ticket seller, advertising and public relations personnel, and other persons, as the Commission may designate, who are involved or connected with, other than as a spectator, a boxing, wrestling, martial arts, or mixed martial arts contest, match, exhibition, or showing, professional as well as amateur, to be held, given, or shown within the District of Columbia.
(6) "Person" means an individual, partnership, corporation, association, or club.
(7) "Sanctioning body" means the organization providing the rules and regulations governing a bout.
(8) "School, college, or university" means every school, college, or university supported in whole or in part from public funds and every other school, college, or university supported in whole or in part by a religious, charitable, scientific, literary, educational, or fraternal organization that is not operated for profit and that no part of its net earnings inures to the benefit of any private shareholder or individual.
(9) "Unarmed combat" means boxing or any form of competition in which a blow is usually struck that may reasonably be expected to inflict injury.