§ 38–194. Common Lottery Board.
(a)(1) There is established a Common Lottery Board (“CLB”) within the Office of the State Superintendent of Education. The purpose of the CLB shall be to develop and maintain a common lottery system for admission to public schools in the District of Columbia and shall:
(A) Adopt policies and procedures to govern the common lottery system, to be implemented by the Office of the State Superintendent of Education;
(B) Develop a 5-year strategic plan for the continuous improvement of the common lottery system;
(C) Develop an annual budget for the common lottery system;
(D) Promote participation of local educational agencies in the common lottery system;
(E) Identify critical entities with which to partner that will enable the CLB to further develop the common lottery system; and
(F) Solicit input from a Parent Advisory Council as established by the CLB;
(2) The CLB shall be funded through local appropriations and any private funding that it receives. The CLB may solicit, accept, and use private gifts, grants, or donations to further its stated purposes.
(3) The CLB shall adopt its own by-laws and rules of procedure.
(4) The CLB may utilize District public space for its official duties.
(5) Subject to the availability of appropriations, the Chairperson shall appoint, terminate, and fix the pay of an Executive Director of the CLB; provided, that the CLB shall approve the appointment and termination of the Executive Director.
(b) The CLB shall consist of the following 10 members:
(1) Seven voting members as follows:
(A) The Deputy Mayor for Education, or designee, who shall serve as Chairperson of the CLB;
(B) The Chancellor of the District of Columbia Public School (“DCPS”), or designee;
(C) Two representatives from DCPS, as appointed by the Chancellor; and
(D) Three representatives from public charter schools, each appointed by a vote among charter schools as organized by the Public Charter School Board “(PCSB”); and
(2) Three non-voting members as follows:
(A) The State Superintendent of Education, or designee;
(B) The Chair of the Public Charter School Board (“PCSB”), or designee; and
(C) The Executive Director of the CLB.
(c)(1) Except as provided in paragraph (2) of this subsection, the representatives appointed by DCPS and by a vote organized by the PCSB (“termed members”) shall serve 2-year terms and may be reappointed without limitation.
(2) The initial appointment of the termed members shall be as follows:
(A) One member appointed by DCPS and one member appointed by a vote organized by the PCSB to serve terms of 2 years, with the term to begin on July 1 and end on June 30; and
(B) One member appointed by DCPS and 2 members appointed by a vote organized by the PCSB to serve terms of one year, with the term to begin on July 1 and end on June 30.
(3) When a vacancy occurs in the membership of the CLB for reasons other than the expiration of a term, an appointment to fill the remainder of the vacated term shall be made in the same manner as prescribed in subsection (b)(1)(C) or (D) of this section, whichever is applicable.