§ 42–3405.10a. Rental Housing Conversion and Sale Act Task Force.
(a) The Mayor shall establish a Rental Housing Conversion and Sale Act Task Force (“Task Force”) within 30 days after July 22, 2005.
(b) The general mandate of the Task Force shall be to examine all aspects of subchapters IV and V of this chapter, including its implementation and compliance with its requirements, and to determine the best means for preserving rental housing, preventing the deterioration of the housing stock, and preventing the displacement of tenants.
(c) The Mayor shall establish the methodology for achieving the purposes of the Task Force in consultation with the members. The Task Force shall issue a report and recommendations proposing policy initiatives and revisions to the statute designed to improve subchapters IV and V of this chapter, which shall be distributed to all members of the Council and the Mayor and made available to the general public within 30 days after its issuance.
(d) As part of its review, the Task Force shall consider:
(1) Whether the District is doing enough to help tenants avail themselves of the opportunity to purchase when an offer is presented, within the prescribed time periods;
(2) Whether the time periods for tenants to avail themselves of the offer of sale are too long or not long enough;
(3) Simplifying the procedures for Time Certain Notices by establishing a single notice procedure for all transactions that do not require a notice to tenants, shortening time periods for sending or filing notices, and eliminating the Notice of Intent to File Petition;
(4) Allowing any tenant in a multi-unit housing accommodation to file a petition for a declaratory order without forming a tenant organization or extending the time period for a tenant organization to form and register;
(5) Limiting this chapter to multi-unit housing accommodations;
(6) Whether the third party rights afforded tenants are being employed to further the purposes of this chapter; and
(7) Whether owners are evading the requirements of this chapter.
(e) The Task Force shall be composed of 7 members, 5 of whom shall be appointed by the Mayor and 2 of whom shall be appointed by the Chairman of the Council. Members of the Task Force shall represent the interests affected by this chapter, including tenants, owners, the District government, title insurers, and other industry representatives.
(f) The Task Force shall continue in existence for 6 months and shall issue its report and recommendations before disbanding.