§ 47–1521. Definitions.
For the purposes of this subchapter, the term:
(1) "Computer software" means a set of statements or instructions that when incorporated in a machine-usable medium is capable of causing a machine or device having information processing capabilities to indicate, perform, or achieve a particular function, task, or result.
(1A) “District” means the District of Columbia.
(2) “Mayor” means the Mayor of the District of Columbia.
(3) “Person” means an individual, firm, partnership, society, club, association, joint-stock company, corporation (domestic or foreign), estate, receiver, trustee, assignee, referee, and a fiduciary or other representative, whether or not appointed by a court, and any combination of individuals acting as a unit.
(4) “Tangible personal property” means tangible goods and chattels, including computer software, used or held for use in any business, activity, or occupation whether or not operated for profit.
(5) “Tax year” means the 12-month period beginning July 1st and ending the next June 30th.
(6) “Trade or business” means engaging in, carrying on, and winding up the affairs of a trade, business, profession, vocation, calling, or commercial activity whether or not operated for profit, and includes performing the duties of a public office, the leasing or renting of real or personal property, whether or not the property is leased or rented directly or through an agent and whether or not services are performed in connection with the property, and any other activity carried on or engaged in for livelihood or profit.
(7) “Use in a trade or business” means use of property in commencing, conducting, continuing, or liquidating a trade or business.