§ 5–1051. Definitions.
For the purposes of this subchapter, the term:
(1) “Chief” means the Chief of the Department.
(2) “Conditional retirement” means that a member has retired or resigned from the Department while under disciplinary investigation for serious misconduct.
(3) “Department” means the Fire and Emergency Medical Services Department.
(4) “Disciplinary investigation” means an official investigation by the Department, including the Office of Internal Affairs, of allegations of serious misconduct by a member of the Department.
(5) “Resign” means the voluntary separation of a member from the Department before the member’s pension rights have accrued and vested.
(6) “Retire” means the voluntary separation of a member from the Department after the member’s pension rights, retirement pay, or other benefits have accrued and vested as provided by federal or District of Columbia law or regulation.
(7) “Serious misconduct” means any felony violation of federal, local, or District of Columbia law, making a false statement under oath, falsifying official records or reports, using unnecessary force, gross dereliction of duty, perpetrating a felony or assisting a person to escape investigation or prosecution, using illegal controlled substances, or other violations as determined by the Chief by general order.