§ 5–409.01. Paramedic and emergency medical technician lateral transfer to Fire and Emergency Medical Services Department.
(a) Notwithstanding any other law or regulation, the Mayor is authorized to provide for the transfer of Fire and Emergency Medical Services Department personnel holding valid certificates as paramedics or emergency medical technicians to be uniformed firefighters.
(1) Transfer shall be to the firefighter step and class with a rate of pay closest to, but not lower than, the rate of pay earned by the employee prior to transfer.
(2) Transferred employees may elect to participate in the District of Columbia Police Officers’ and Fire Fighters’ Retirement Program established pursuant to Chapter 9 of Title 1 [§ 1-901.01 et seq.]. (“Program”).
(3) Transfer is conditioned on the transferred employee meeting the requirements for entry-level firefighters, including meeting established medical standards, undergoing a background check, and successfully completing a physical abilities test and the firefighting training program.
(4) Transferred employees are required to meet citizenship requirements set forth by law or regulation.
(5) Maximum age limitations for appointment shall not apply to transferred employees.