§ 7–2851. Definitions.
For the purposes of this chapter, the term:
(1) “Department of Health” means the District of Columbia Department of Health.
(2) “Engineered sharps injury protection” means a physical attribute built into a sharp that effectively reduces the risk of an exposure incident by a mechanism such as a barrier creation, blunting, encapsulation, withdrawal, retraction, destruction, or other effective mechanisms.
(3) “Exposure incident” means contact with blood or other potentially infectious materials that results from a sharp injury.
(4) “Person” means any individual, corporation, or other such entity that sells, distributes, uses, or possesses sharps.
(5) “Sharp” means any medical device that is or contains a needle.
(6) “Sharps injury” means any injury caused by a sharp, including cuts, abrasions, or needlesticks.