§ 8–1802. Animal Care and Control Agency.
(a) The Mayor may contract, either by negotiation or competitive bid, with a District of Columbia humane organization to serve as the Animal Care and Control Agency. The Mayor may delegate all or part of his authority under this subchapter, including the issuance of notices of violations, to the Animal Care and Control Agency.
(b) The Animal Care and Control Agency shall:
(1) Pursuant to this subchapter, issue fines and citations for violations and deliver all fees collected to the Mayor.
(2) Allow the Mayor or the Mayor’s designee to inspect the Animal Care and Control Agency to determine compliance with District laws, regulations, policies, and contractual obligations;
(3) Ensure that all contractually required records are accurate, easily accessible, and available at all times;
(4) Immediately inform the Mayor or the Mayor’s designee of any significant changes in its operations or leadership;
(5) Respond to all animal calls and emergencies in the District; and
(6) Perform any other duties the Mayor designates that are consistent with the provisions of this subchapter.
(c) The Animal Care and Control Agency shall promote:
(1) The reduction of euthanasia of animals for which medical treatment or adoption is possible; and
(2) The utilization of trap, spay or neuter, and return practices as a means of controlling the feral cat population; provided, that all efforts shall be made to adopt out a trapped, tamable kitten.