§ 9–201.01. Definitions.
For purposes of this chapter the term:
(1) “Alley” means any public alley, as recorded in the records of the Office of the Surveyor, from its intersection with a street or another alley to its next intersection with a street or alley, or where it dead-ends.
(2) “Council” means the Council of the District of Columbia.
(2A) “DDOT” means the District Department of Transportation.
(3) “District” means the District of Columbia government.
(4) “Highway plan” means the plan of the permanent system of highways developed pursuant to § 9-103.01 et seq.
(4A) "Initiator" means the individual or entity that makes a request to the Mayor or a Councilmember to sponsor legislation proposing the designation of an official or symbolic name of an alley or street, or portion thereof, or an official name of a public space other than an alley or street, or portion thereof, and shall not include the Mayor, the Council, or any Councilmember.
(5) “Mayor” means the Mayor of the District of Columbia, or the Mayor’s designated representative.
(5A) "Official name" means the legal designation of an alley or street, or portion thereof, for use in a mailing address and other official purposes.
(5B) "Other public space" means a public space other than an alley or street.
(6) “Owner” means the owner(s) of record as shown on the records in the Department of Finance and Revenue.
(7) “Street” means any public right-of-way, recorded as a street, road, or highway in the records of the Office of the Surveyor.
(8) “Surveyor” means the Surveyor of the District of Columbia.
(9) "Symbolic name" means a ceremonial name given to an alley or street, or portion thereof, or other public space that is in addition and subordinate to its official name.